Sunday, March 1, 2015

Exploring and promoting local produce food via We Are Singavore month!

Hi all! This post would be my entry of what I did on last week, between 23-28 February 2015.

First and foremost, I would like to express my gratitude to this special team that made me realize that ,"Hey! It's time that we should start support local produce food instead of the everyday foods that we always consume!"

Introducing to you, We Are Singavore team. This team is currently doing their part in promoting local produce foods that involves the planning and also the partners that was involved in a month long food search of We Are Singavore month that happens on February 2015.

Hence, I am listing down the foods that I have already eaten for the past week. Out of 10 foods locally produce listed for We Are Singavore month, I manage to eat 8 of them. So, here is my verdict. Let me start in a different way.

From number 8, it's.....
JUBILEE NASI LEMAK FROM 7KICKSTART COLD COFFEE

This is a simple, yet staple recipe that most Singaporeans would love to eat during breakfast since the yesteryear, but I have to admit that the chicken was the only source that was produce locally. However, this is still my no. 1 'local food' that I would like to eat.

Going downwards, number 7 would be to.......
SUMMER SPICE LAMB WITH MOFO CHILLI MARINATE FROM EAST EIGHT (CITY HALL)

I love the combination of this lamb, that can be eaten simply by just using your right hand and that's my way to enjoy the dish. The 'limau sambal' that was used, is just simply trying to put it to be local. However, since only the sprout is use as a local product, this would just be a food to enjoy when you have the time to enjoy it.

Number 6 would go to..........
HALOUMI & MUSHROOM FROM ARTICHOKE (MIDDLE ROAD)

Personally, it's a weekend brunch that was truly filling. The bread that was seared with smash avocado, with the mushroom plus also the tomato, makes it a good dish. However, this is not just enough to make it to the top.

Number 5, we have..............
GRILLED BARRAMUNDI WITH BASIL ALMOND PESTO FROM FOOD FOR THOUGHT (NATIONAL MUSEUM OF SINGAPORE)

Personally, I like this dish. The taste that just simply simmer into my mouth upon trying it for the first time, makes it feels so good. However, the presentation that really is more towards Western would not suit at all for the local , even if the fish is produce locally.

Going down to number 4, we have................
NO. 38 BARRAMUNDI FROM THE TUCKSHOP (GUILLEMARD ROAD)

Hard to decide where shall I put this initially. Why? Upon serving the food to me, the first thought that I have was, WOW! This is fusion. Also, the presentation looks local, as it was served with prawn crackers, or simply say 'keropok'. The sambal belacan, which was written on the menu, to me, it tasted more than a normal sambal belacan. This sambal doesn't even taste like sambal belacan, but it's more to sambal 'nasi lemak'. But to those who can't take spicy food at all, this would be a 'no-no' to you. Since only the fish that was locally produce, I have decided to put it here.

Going to top 3 from my choice, second runner-up (3rd place) goes to...............
RAW LASAGNE WITH WALNUT & MACADAMIA NUT CHEESE FROM AFTERGLOW (KEONG SAIK ROAD)

Why I place this dish here? Simple, the ingredients and the taste. The taste is really like a real 'lasagne' whereby, the walnut really taste like a meat, more of a bacon taste. The ingredients that was used here consists of the spinach, tomatoes, and also the swiss brown mushrooms that was locally produce, makes it to be the top three from my selection.

For the runner-up (2nd place), the dish is from................
MUSHROOM MELODY ON EDIBLE SOIL FROM PLONK (SERANGOON GARDEN)

When I first try this dish, nothing comes into my mind, but it was so delicious. Maybe, the ingredients that was used here, like the bamboo shoots & especially, the herbs that was plucked from the garden along Maju Avenue, that makes me to put it at number two, behind another dish, that was a total benefit for all.

And, the winner at 1st place goes to......................
LOCALICIOUS SAMBAL TILAPIA FROM KAKIS BISTRO & BAR (CHANGI VILLAGE)

This is real local produce food. The main ingredient, which is the tilapia, was for the best quality selected from a local agriculture based system that excels in terms of its taste, and also the accompanying ingredients such as the lemongrass & kaffir lime. It would be nice, if this dish can be added with rice, thus making it a complete set of lunch or dinner.

This is my review on how I access each recipe and grading it according to my very best taste and the important factor, which is the portion of local produce food.

To the We Are Singavore team, kudos for having the opportunity to make an option for the locals to eat local produce food, which I believe at the end of the day, the main objective is to make the locals or even anyone to enjoy and appreciate the local farmers for harvesting local produce food.

And, finally we can even say, "Hey! Singapore also has the own source of food that we, Singaporeans can depend on in the years to come."

That's all. Thank you, once again, to We Are Singavore team.

No comments:

Post a Comment